Tuesday, May 5, 2009

where is my bohemia?

"Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye and deny it." -Garrison Keillor "Bohemia is nothing more than a little country in which you do not live. If you try to obtain citizenship in it, at once the court and retinue pack the royalarchives and treasure and move away beyond the hills." - O. Henry MY interpretation of Mr. Henry's quote is this: that Bohemia is anything/anywhere I want it to be. My Bohemia is a bubble of imagination in which I dwell. On any given day it could become any kind of place. Sometimes I travel and play there all alone with my imaginary companions. Sometimes I take my "real" friends with me. Someday soon you will meet my wild and wonderful friends who aren't afraid to travel to my Bohemia. Meanwhile, in my Bohemia, the resident Bohemain is wondering where her gypsy imaginings have come from. She has always secretly harbored the knowledge that gypsy blood is pounding through her veins. She' pretty sure she was born in Bohemia because she passionately adores all things gypsy and bohemian; clothing, music, dancing, jewelry, scarves, ruffles, ribbons... Everything that she sees she translate through her rosy-colored gypsy glasses. All around her cottage home in her little village is the living proof that her Bohemia is real.

No comments:

Post a Comment